laylaeatsbooksforbreakfast

Layla Eats Books For Breakfast

...and takes some with her afternoon tea as well.

SPOILER ALERT!

The Silver Linings Playbook - A Review

First off, I need to state that I watched the film before even acknowledging that there was a book. I did not enjoy the movie at all, even though I admit that Jennifer Lawrence performed well. Which is why it surprised me that when I went to a bookstore, I picked this book up with two other ones, instead of picking up some other title. It took me quite some time to brace myself and start reading The Silver Linings Playbook. When I did, however, I found myself really enjoying the story and the writing of Matthew Quick. With this book, the words are reasserted: the book is better than the film.

I will not go (that) deep into the storyline because I am sure there are still people who have not read the book (nor seen the film) and I will concetrate on my feelings about this book. From the beginning I was taking the side of being a bit sceptical about this (thanks to the experience I had with the film) and although I do not like to do so, I simply could not help it with this one. However, I was pleasantly surprised to like it very much. The development of characters was greatly done, the scenes vividly described so it felt as if I was watching it as a third person in the story. Although I did imagine the characters as the actors who starred in the film, I somehow managed to distant myself from these visions and let my imagination do the trick.

I made a few notes about Pat, the main character, while reading. He struck me as someone completely obsessed with his wife who was lost to him, although he would not accept that. He was so obsessed with her that at times I felt he lost touch with reality altogether - this one time when he realized that he was in the "bad place," as he calls it, for four years instead of a few months as he believed before. He did lose some parts of his memory, for instance Pat did not remember things that happened in the football season that he and his family took very seriously, he did not remember that Nikki (his wife) cheated on him and left him or that she divorced him and remarried. Up until the last part of the book, Pat was clinging to any chance, no matter how small and improbable, of him and Nikki having a happy ending. They did not have any of that, luckily, but Tiffany, who was a friend to Pat since he came back home from the "bad place," finally made him open his eyes and see the truth, no matter how much she must have hurt him to do so. I am not much of a fan of happy endings to be honest but I felt that this book deserved one, as throughout the whole story Pat keeps going on about a happy ending and silver linings and optimism. The ending somehow really touched me and I was happy Pat and Tiffany ended the way they did.

One aspect of this book that annoyed me a bit, though, was the football part. With my knowledge of football, I found the descriptive parts really boring and had no idea what I was reading. And there were quite a lot of these. But as they were part of the story, and fitted into the storyline in the overall view, I clenched my teeth and made my way through these parts without wanting to throw the book out of the window (those of you who read it might get the reference, toodoo...)